Power & Source of Big Ideas

how to update/upgrade T4 and not lose GPU drivers

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Hi,

I have T4 and noticed that after I do apt-get update/upgrade I lose gpu hardware acceleration.
Using friendlydesktop version (ubuntu 18.4)
How do you:

1) update packages and not lose gpu hardware accerelation
2) pin gpu needed packages (which are those)

Do you not update it at all or how do you do it ?

thanks
Anyone ?

do you du update - apt-get update/ upgrade and have security (but loose gpu hardware acceleration)
or
don't do update and have gpu hardware acceleration but don't have latest packages.

I know that in APT packaging we can mark some packages as "not updatable" but anyone knows which it should be ?

thanks
this is the most viewed thread in the T4 forum and yet there is still no response from anyone on the friendlyelec team. that should speak volumes to anyone considering this board or the OS options offered by friendlyelec. there are older, similar threads and they too remained unanswered. friendlyelec provides a forum, but there is no real support of their hardware within them. i suspect that friendlyelec support doesn't even monitor these forums.

with regard to OP's question, i have emailed support about this issue issue over a year ago and their answer was essentially "don't upgrade."

the T4 is a great board but it lacks support from the manufacturer. armbian is good alternative OS option and armbian support is better through their forums, but still fairly poor. between official armbian support and volunteers, most questions get addressed but there are still many which remain unanswered.
nunyabisnas wrote:
armbian is good alternative OS option and armbian support is better through their forums
Is your only alternative which needs your help, or it will (put to) die and you will lost that too.

nunyabisnas wrote:
but still fairly poor. between official armbian support and volunteers, most questions get addressed but .
Considering that users/"clients"/you doesn't even cover the download costs they create ... you have exactly zero rights to complain (respect our time). From my personal point, it would be best to shut down this support entirely, since it only creates a depth and a stress we are barely manage to sustain. Also that little help we get from the industry is no match to your free assistance hunger.

If this support is terrible, you can easily check how much is a paycheck of an engineer. Hire one, send to trainings and abuse. One is ofc nothing, you will need 10 or more. Do the math.

nunyabisnas wrote:
there are still many which remain unanswered
Because most of the questions are expensive to answer and 100% paid from our pocket. I can easily waste few hours to clarify and answer on one hard technical question. If that question includes research, days of work are attached which means I can easily lost 500, 1000 or 5000 EUR to be able to answer to you. This cheap only If I don't count training costs. Daily maintenance costs, without dealing with a hers of non paying clients, costs around 3.000 EUR of our private cash. With donation your contribute something, true. That share is 0.5%.

Get a golden subscription https://forum.armbian.com/subscriptions/ and you will legitly cover one hour of client support per month. It will cover one not very much complicated question.

https://github.com/armbian/build#support
There are people you can hire all around the globe to help you out.