Power & Source of Big Ideas

Boot from NVME

Moderators: chensy, FATechsupport

Does the T4 boot form nvme? how is an image loaded to nvme? is performance increased in nvme over emmc? if so, by how much?
They would probably have to customize U-Boot to support that. Good question though, is NVME boot on the roadmap?
This is something i would like to have supported as well. Can someone update the wiki on this please.
I'd also like to know how to do this.
Has anyone been successful in booting from NVME ? I'm building up my NanoPX-T4 tomorrow.
I've got a 240GB NVME that I'd like to use. I know how to jerry rig it. Install to the eMMC, boot off eMMC, partition the NVME device similar to the EMMC device, rsync from the eMMC to the NVME device, edit the grub entry to mount / from the NVME device. You will still boot from from the eMMC but everything else will be on the NVME.

I need to read up more on uboot before I modify it.

Has anyone at Friendly Elec have any idea about this ?

Thanks.
I also would like to know how to get the NanoPC-T4 to boot exclusively from an M.2 SSD. I'll likely be running DietPi.
plasmaphase wrote:
I also would like to know how to get the NanoPC-T4 to boot exclusively from an M.2 SSD. I'll likely be running DietPi.


You can't boot directly from NvME.

With Armbian this works the usual way out of the box - boot from eMMC, root on NvMe. I am not aware if stock kernel + dietpi spaghetti scripting manage to do this.

Here is Armbian (desktop) boot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Bl0yjESLo on this device from NvMe as a reference.
500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSDs are now below $90 USD.
I would like to be able to boot the following from the NanoPC-T4's M.2 socket:
Android 8.1
A LINUX port, Armbian, bionic, etc.
Windows IoT

Any suggestions?
jerryn wrote:
Has anyone been successful in booting from NVME ? I'm building up my NanoPX-T4 tomorrow.
I've got a 240GB NVME that I'd like to use. I know how to jerry rig it. Install to the eMMC, boot off eMMC, partition the NVME device similar to the EMMC device, rsync from the eMMC to the NVME device, edit the grub entry to mount / from the NVME device. You will still boot from from the eMMC but everything else will be on the NVME.

I need to read up more on uboot before I modify it.
iTunes Mobdro TutuApp
Has anyone at Friendly Elec have any idea about this ?

Thanks.

This is something i would like to have supported as well. Can someone update the wiki on this please.
seven@7777777s.com wrote:
500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSDs are now below $90 USD.
I would like to be able to boot the following from the NanoPC-T4's M.2 socket:
Android 8.1
A LINUX port, Armbian, bionic, etc.
Windows IoT

Any suggestions?

Yep. Install Armbian. The boot is off eMMC but rootfs is on nvme. it's fast. Android 8.1 does not support NVME. Android store has limited apps for the NanoPC-T4. Linux is much more flexible. I rebuilt Plex Media Player with DRI for video out because the VPU on rockchip is NOT robust and breaks when playing H.264 MKV files. ffmpeg with DRI/FBDEV will easily handle 1080p. I can not state that the NanoPC-T4 can support 4k because Rockchip's support for linux is lacking. Part of the problem is ARM GPU support isn't Open. You are stuck with BLOBS that don't support everything. The older Mali T760 GPU with the SunXi armsock drivers are faster.. except with those boards you don't have PCI, USBC, or 1G ethernet.
Panfrost is still in process. Once it's complete then maybe you could build an Open Source gaming box. I wanted to build a portable SDR transciever with touch screen display with this board. The GPU support is NOT as good as you will find on other boards. Friendly Elec, if you are reading this, please ask Rockchip to make MALI T8xx support OPEN!
@jerryn - did you get it to work with just a bootloader on eMMC? Instructions appreciated if yes...

Booting from NVMe would be a huge boost - or at least only running bootloader from eMMC.

Instructions on how to do with a Raspi 4 here: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/boot- ... 39782.html
Install Armbian on an SD card. In Armbian-config, you have several choices to install from there, one of them is "boot from EMMC, rootfs on NVME" or something similar to that, I forget the exact wording. Basically the boot files are on EMMC and everything else is on the M.2 It is very fast.
I don't think booting directly from nvme is possible yet, at least I haven't seen it in Armbian.
That does it? Didn't realise it was that simple - thanks.
jerryn wrote:
seven@7777777s.com wrote:
500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSDs are now below $90 USD.
I would like to be able to boot the following from the NanoPC-T4's M.2 socket:
Android 8.1
A LINUX port, Armbian, bionic, etc.
Windows IoT

Any suggestions?

Yep. Install Armbian. The boot is off eMMC but rootfs is on nvme. it's fast. Android 8.1 does not support NVME. Android store has limited apps for the NanoPC-T4. Linux is much more flexible. I rebuilt Plex Media Player with DRI for video out because the VPU on rockchip is NOT robust and breaks when playing H.264 MKV files. ffmpeg with DRI/FBDEV will easily handle 1080p. I can not state that the NanoPC-T4 can support 4k because Rockchip's support for linux is lacking. Part of the problem is ARM GPU support isn't Open. You are stuck with BLOBS that don't support everything. The older Mali T760 GPU with the SunXi armsock drivers are faster.. except with those boards you don't have PCI, USBC, or 1G ethernet.
Panfrost is still in process. Once it's complete then maybe you could build an Open Source gaming box. I wanted to build a portable SDR transciever with touch screen display with this board. The GPU support is NOT as good as you will find on other boards. Friendly Elec, if you are reading this, please ask Rockchip to make MALI T8xx support OPEN!


Is this why i only get 500R/450W in benchmarks on my NVME SSD that`s rated at 3000R/2000W in Android v8.1

John.

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 576 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:38 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests